California Student Aid Commission Webgrants for Students
WebGrants for Students :: Important Cal Grant / Chafee Updates
Important Cal Grant / Chafee Updates
This screen contains important updates about the Cal Grant and Chafee programs. CSAC makes every effort to keep you updated.

Cal Grant Updates

Important Update

CSAC communicates with students using the email address we have on file. It is critical that you keep your contact information updated on your WGS account.

How do I apply for a Cal Grant?

Applying for a Cal Grant Takes Two Forms! Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADA) + Your Verified GPA = a Cal Grant Application. File your FAFSA or CADA and Cal Grant Grade Point Average (GPA) Verification form by the March 2nd deadline for a Cal Grant. Cal Grant is money you don't have to pay back.

Transfer Entitlement Award

If you do not have a Cal Grant award and plan on transferring from a CCC to a 4 year college, you should apply for a Cal Grant the January prior to the academic year you plan on transferring. To apply for Cal Grant, you must completed a FAFSA or Dream Application and submit a certified GPA on or before the March 2nd deadline. If awarded and Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement award, you must transfer to the 4 year college and receive payment or you will be withdrawn from the program.

How do I contact CSAC?

If you need additional assistance, you may contact the Customer Assistance staff at (888) 224-7268. Customer Assistance fields Cal Grant, Chafee and other Specialized calls Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 4:45 PM.

If you are unable to create a WGS account, or have an account but have forgotten your user id and/or password please call 1-888-294-0148 between 9:00 AM to 4:45 PM Monday through Thursday for technical assistance only.

Parental Access

Keeping in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, if you are a student who is either 18 years or older or attending college, we are unable to assist your parent with questions pertaining to your account without your permission. For security purposes and to protect your privacy, you must complete a Third Party Release Form (G-25) on WebGrants for Students at, which will authorize your parent to act on your behalf.

Am I eligible for any other state funding as a Cal Dream Act applicant?

Yes, you could possibly be eligible for institutional funding such as a Board of Governor's Fee Waiver. Check with the Financial Aid Officer at your school for more information on private grants or scholarships.

Are you a current Cal Grant recipient attending college at least half-time?

If YES, you should:

1. Check the school listed on your WebGrants for Students (WGS) account and update as needed.

2. If the correct school is listed and you have not been paid, contact your financial aid office to confirm eligibility and request payment. If you haven't submitted required documents to your financial aid office to complete your financial aid file, please do so immediately.

If NO and you plan on attending college, you may post a leave of absence on your WGS account

Browser Information

CSAC recommends that you use one of the following browsers when using WGS:

  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 and higher
  • Mozilla Firefox 18 and higher

To download one of the recommended browsers, you may click on the Help Center link on the right side of this page.

Apple/Mac Computers, IPADs, and Smart Phones:
Results may be unpredictable.

Privacy Policy   Copyright 2000-2016, California Student Aid Commission    Contact Us